When Do You Need a Crown?
Dental crowns are used when more conservative dental restorations cannot be used to improve the strength or appearance of a damaged tooth. Your dentist will determine what procedure you are eligible for based on your existing dental health and the aesthetic and functional benefits of a restorative dentistry treatment. The following are common reasons dental crowns are used to restore teeth:
- To protect a weak and decayed tooth from breaking
- To restore an already broken, cracked or severely worn down tooth
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of tooth left
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To cover misshapened or severely discolored teeth
- To cover a dental implant