The techniques used for brushing depends on the type of toothbrushes patients use. Let’s look at different brushing techniques recommended with manual and electric toothbrushes.
Electric toothbrushes are clinically proven to remove more bacteria from our teeth than manual brushing. We are unable to duplicate the motion of the electric toothbrushes’ bristles with manual brushes, no matter how well we brush with them. The built-in timers are also helpful as we should brush for at least two minutes every time!
- Place toothbrush at 45-degree angle to the gumline
- Slowly move toothbrush from posterior teeth to anterior teeth on the front side of the teeth
- Brush from posterior teeth to anterior teeth on tongue side of the teeth.
- Move toothbrush along the biting surfaces of the teeth.
If you just can’t make the switch to an electric toothbrush, make sure your manual toothbrush has soft bristles. Again, make sure you brush for at least two minutes!
No matter what kind of toothbrush patients use, they should switch to a new one every three months. If using a manual toothbrush, throw that brush away after three months. If using an electric toothbrush, replace the brush head every three months with a new one. Additionally, toothbrushes should be thrown away after being sick. For more information on choosing a toothbrush, click here.
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Gently brush the teeth in with a circular motion
- Following the circular motion, sweep the bristles away from the gums.
- Repeat this technique on the front surfaces, inner surfaces, and biting surfaces of the teeth.
- To clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make several up-and-down strokes.
When you are done brushing with either type of toothbrush, be sure to brush your tongue! The tongue harbors bacteria and many people do not include this in their oral hygiene routine.
Is it time for your dental cleaning? Do you have questions about your brushing technique? Please call Adams and Cheek Dentistry with any questions or concerns. You can reach us at 919-866-1360 or click here to reach us online.