Many patients are being mislead by false information in a new documentary, Root Cause. The information portrayed in this documentary is causing much confusion across the country. The American Dental Association (ADA) is working with the American Association of Endodontists (AAE) and the American Association for Dental Research (AADR) to counter the long-disproven claims made in the film. Additionally, the ADA has co-authored a letter from the three organizations. This letter explains that offering this film does a disservice to the public because it helps to spread fear-based misinformation and speculation that is not supported by medical evidence.
General information about the safety of root canals:
- Each year, dentists perform approximately 25 million new endodontic treatments, including root canals, safely and effectively.
- Root canal treatment eliminates bacteria from an infected tooth, prevents reinfection of the tooth, and saves the natural tooth.
- Endodontic treatment is often the best option for a patient with an infected tooth. This treatment allows the person to keep the tooth, continue to eat normally, and maintain a natural smile.
Why the film, Root Cause, is misleading:
- The film is based on research conducted in the 1920s that was later disproved.
- Decades of research shows that there is no valid, scientific link between endodontically-treated teeth and cancer or any chronic diseases.
You can learn more about root canal therapy on our root canal blog by clicking here.
In conclusion, Adams and Cheek Dentistry believes in the safety of root canal treatment. We also join the ADA in highlighting the importance of peer-reviewed, scientific evidence in order to better serve our patients. Moreover, we are happy to answer any questions you may have about the safety of root canal therapy. Please call 919.866.1360 or click here if you have any questions.
*The information for this blog was provided by the ADA