What is oral cancer?
Oral cancer is the uncontrollable growth of cells that damages tissue in the oral cavity. This area includes the lip, cheeks, tongue, hard and soft palates, floor of the mouth, sinuses, and/or throat. Like all cancers, early detection is important in treatment outcome.
- a sore that doesn’t heal on the lip or inside of the mouth
- a growth inside the mouth
- a white or red patch inside the mouth
- difficult or painful swallowing
- mouth pain
- ear pain
- loose teeth
- tobacco use of any kind Smoking and Your Oral Health
- excessive alcohol use Alcohol and Oral Health
- excessive exposure of lips to the sun
- presence of human papilloma virus (HPV)
- family history
At Adams and Cheek Dentistry, we take your overall health very seriously. Patients are rarely seen by their regular physician as often as they are seen by their dentist (that is, if they are going at least twice a year for cleanings and exams). Therefore, please be sure you schedule your routine visits in a timely manner. If you are looking for a new dentist or need to schedule your dental hygiene appointment, please call 919.866.1360 or click here to schedule an appointment.